Friday 25 December 2020

Christmas break with Jacques Tourneur

There will not be a proper article today as it is Christmas and us Swedes take that very seriously, even in a time of a pandemic. The next regular piece will be in two weeks, in 2021, on January 8.

Since I am on my Christmas break I have some free time and so far I have used it to watch a couple of the few films by Jacques Tourneur I have not seen before. A rewarding exercise and judging by the reactions on Twitter to my comments, he has many passionate supporters like myself. That too was a rewarding experience. I now have only his films from the 1930s and the two from the 1960s left to watch, and eventually I will do that too. Tourneur is a wondrous filmmaker, at least in the 1940s and 1950s. So in that spirit, here are some nice images from three of his lesser-known films.

Experiment Perilous (1944)

Easy Living (1949)
 
 Nightfall (1956)

I have written about Tourneur before and here are two links: